In the 10th century, and for close to four centuries thereafter, Malause was among the domaines of the powerful Durfort family, whose name is intimately linked not only with the history of Malause, but also with that of the whole region. On 21st February 1489, Louise du Lion, a rich heiress, married Charles, bastard of the House of Bourbon, seneschal of Toulouse. She brought as dowry the territory of Malause and the viscountcy of Lavedan, among other things.
Historians give different interpretations of the origin of the name “Malause”. The most plausible is that it comes from “Malaucia”, a sort of institution situated beside the little stream “La Saudèze”, which took in convalescents from a neighbouring hospital.