The Château of Monluc
The château, of which the oldest sections date from the 13th century, belonged to Blaise of Monluc and his brothers and sister. They inherited it in 1544 from their uncles, then Blaise progressively bought his siblings’ share in the château. Blaise brought bastion construction back from the wars he fought in Italy. He began, probably in 1570 during the Wars of Religion, to modify the château to make it more easily defensible. He improved the defences by adding bastions to protect the entrance. The château was built to a closed trapezoid plan, giving the interior courtyard an almost triangular shape. The alterations encompassed the old buildings. The wings and south and west bastions followed a plan introduced by Italian military engineers. This plan was first put into practice in France at Navarrenx, which Fabricio Siciliano fortified for Henry of Albret. In 1793 the entrance defences, as well as the high parts of the east bastion, were demolished.
In 1575 Blaise Monluc retired to write his Commentaries, but died two years later in Condom, where his son was bishop. He was buried in the cathedral there. His family kept the château until 1753, when it was sold to René-Louis de Montadouin. In 1787 he, in turn, ceded the château to François-Louis de Brondeau d’Urtières. Since then the château, through the female line, has remained in the same family.
The Church of St John the Baptist
It was built close to the château in the 16th century, perhaps using stones from the château.